Guest Author: Kimberly H., Chief Blogger
Committing to a healthy lifestyle doesn’t need to involve making major changes to your current routine. By incorporating small changes to current habits, you can gradually eliminate bad habits and pave the way to a healthier, happier life. In this article by Boundless Brooks, we’ll explore a host of useful strategies to help you start creating a personalized roadmap for achieving a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain for the long term without any challenges.
Walk More Often
According to research by Medicine Plus, living a sedentary lifestyle greatly increases the risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and a host of other health conditions. The best way to counter these risks is to find ways to incorporate more movement into your daily routine which can be done in the following ways:
- Take the Stairs: Whether at the office or home, choose to climb stairs rather than take the elevator. Climbing is not only great for strengthening your leg muscles but it improves your stamina and cardiovascular health as well. Additionally, it is an easy way to incorporate some kind of physical activity while at the office.
- Schedule Walk Breaks: While at work consider scheduling 5-10 minute walking breaks every two hours. Taking short walks around your office building might not seem like a big deal, but in the long term, it will add up and make a significant difference in your activity level.
- Walk Don’t Drive: For any short-distance trips such as to the grocery store, railway/bus station, etc. choose to walk instead of drive. This will help to significantly reduce the hours you spend being sedentary and reduce its negative health effects.
There are many different ways to incorporate walking into your day, so look for opportunities wherever you can.
Cook For Yourself
Ordering take-out or dining at fast food restaurants is always easier than cooking your food. However, according to Medical News Today, fast food is known to be devoid of nutrients and filled with preservatives and chemicals that are scientifically proven to be bad for health.
Cooking daily can understandably be hard. Hence, the better option is to learn how to meal prep i.e. cooking food in batches that last you at least a couple of days or in some cases even a week! Here’s how to get started:
- Visit your local grocery store to buy fresh ingredients.
- Select meal prep recipes that seem appealing to you, which can include making pasta, sandwiches, salads, burritos bowls, etc.
- Set aside a designated time each week to prepare large batches of meat. This allows you to have ready-to-eat nutritious food each day.
By investing 2-3 hours a week towards meal prep, not only will you improve your health, but save a ton of money as well in the process. And don’t rush yourself – learning to cook is a process, so have patience if you mess up a recipe.
Relieve Stress With Yoga
Constantly feeling stress can negatively impact your physical and mental health. But, incorporating yoga into your routine can provide numerous health benefits such as happier moods, better cardiovascular health, and more. Here’s how to integrate yoga into your daily routine:
- Start with Beginner-Friendly Poses: If you’re new to yoga, begin with simple poses that help you build a strong foundation such as Child’s Pose, Mountain Pose, and Corpse Pose.
- Follow Online Tutorials: If you prefer guidance, there are various online tutorials and classes available for beginners. Additionally, consider joining a local yoga studio or exploring reputable yoga platforms.
- Practice Deep Breathing: Focusing on deep, conscious breathing can help calm the mind and reduce stress levels. This can even be practiced while in the office or while managing stressful situations of any kind.
If yoga proves to be too much, don’t fret – there are many different low-impact stretches and exercises that you can incorporate into your daily routine.
By integrating more walking into your daily routine, adopting healthy eating habits through meal prepping, and incorporating yoga for stress relief, you can pave the way for establishing a roadmap towards achieving better health and developing a healthy work-life balance.
Did you enjoy this article? Check out more Lifestyle posts on our site here!